Monday, October 20, 2014

Honey, I'm Just Along For The Ride!

Apparently there is a page on FB called "Army Spouse: Toughest Job in the Army" -- or something to that effect. I have seen people mention it but never really looked at it until this morning when my husband brought something to my attention. If you read this page, it is obviously made for laughs. One of the funniest things is people getting all bent out of shape over it!

As I said, my husband brought something to my attention. He showed me a comment or statement, whatever, that someone made on or about that page. Here are a few points this person made to spouses--


*You hold no rank in the military
*You are not eating MREs, sleeping on cots, facing bullets etc
*You do not prepare for promotion boards
*You do not conduct guard duty or CQ duty
*You do not get a paycheck from the Army, your Enlisted spouse does
*You are a wife, you ladies are just along for the ride, you carry NO authority at all
*You do not know tough until you've gone through the training to be a soldier
*Don't make yourself more than you are

Sooooo... where should I start?! This man is correct, I hold no rank in the military, nor do I act like I do. Correct again that I do not eat MREs, sleep on cots, face bullets, etc (but I didn't sign up for it either).

No, I have not prepared for promotion boards personally. As a good wife, I have helped my husband study when he asked me to. I have shared his stress when waiting and shared his joy when he got promoted.

Correct again (this man is on a roll) that I do not conduct guard duty or CQ duty. I do however, cook (or go buy) my husband dinner while he is on duty when he asks me to. And, no, I personally do not get a check from the Army. However, being married, it is OUR money. Just like when I got my mother's life insurance money, it was OURS. And just like when I get paid from my "little job", it is OUR money.

"You don't know tough until you've gone through the training to be a soldier".. yeah, because training to be a soldier is the only thing that can make a person "tough"? And sorry hon, but I have seen some "bitch ass" service members who are anything but tough. (saying that does not mean I don't support our service members, so don't twist my words. I know how people are lol)

I saved this for last -- "You are a wife, you ladies are just along for the ride, you carry NO authority at all" & "Don't make yourself more than you are"--- First, I'd like to say that I hope this man is not married. If he is, my deepest sympathies to his wife.. As a wife, I support my husband in EVERYTHING he does. I am his PARTNER, I HELP him. When he is gone for training or deployment, I am the one who takes care of EVERYTHING here.. the bills, the house, the kids.. if I were just "along for the ride", I wouldn't do shit. I wouldn't care about him and his career, I wouldn't care about the bills or the house.. I would take all the money and be selfish with it. (BTW, I can't remember the last time I actually bought myself anything over $10). Correct though, that I have no authority.. in the military. But when it comes to MY husband and MY household, I have more authority than you care to believe. If I wanted any kind of authority in the military, I would have joined myself. Let's not forget, we shouldn't make ourselves more than we are.. it seems to me this man thinks us "little women" should be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, seen and not heard.. Get a clue, dude.

For the record, I do NOT think being an army spouse is the toughest job in the army. BUT I think it's bull that some like to easily dismiss what us good spouses go through and do..



You can find me on-
 Instagram & Twitter - @jamielynn1027
Jamielynn *A Soldiers Angel*
*Army Wives Do It With Hooah*

No comments:

Post a Comment