Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Infertility in the Military

Improvements in infertility treatments have made it more possible for couples dealing with infertility, to have a child. With the cost of artificial reproduction being so high, most of the time it is impossible for couples dealing with infertility to cover. Tricare covers infertility treatment to a certain extent. The following will highlight what may be covered and what is not.

Diagnostic services to identify physical illnesses or injuries to the reproductive system are covered for both men and women. Infertility treatments, corrective treatments and surgeries for women are also covered. However, correction of male infertility may be cost shared, which is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Therapies covered by Tricare include hormonal treatment, corrective surgery, antibiotics, administration of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) or radiation therapy depending on the cause. These therapies are covered for both men and women. Tricare also provides medically necessary appropriate medical care for erectile dysfunction due to organic, vice psychological or psychiatric causes.

Exclusions are artificial insemination or intrauterine insemination (IUI), which in some cases might be cost shared, and in-vitro fertilization (IVF) for women. Also excluded is reversal of surgical sterilization of both men and women.

While Tricare does not cover IVF, there are four military treatment facilities (MTFs) where IVF medical training programs are conducted. Beneficiaries who participate in these programs will be responsible for all MTF costs, but can expect reduced rates.

These military treatment facilities are:
Wilford Hall Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas
Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, Hawaii
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington D.C.
Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA

To help you cope with infertility, Military OneSource offers free counseling services outside the military system. Call the toll-free hot line number 24/7 at 1-800-655-4545 or visit their website at www.militaryonesource.com.

If artificial reproduction technologies and infertility treatments are not a success, the next option is adoption. In which the U.S. Army can lend a helping hand. Options for adoption are to look outside the country or foster adopt within our own foster care system. Through the Child Welfare Information gateway at (http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/f_milita.cfm) you can find all facts and information on where the U.S. Military and DoD can help you and guide you when you are considering adoption. If you are considering foster adoption, go visit sites like (http://foster-child.adoption.com) and (http://www.adoptuskids.org) for more information.

Resources: www.tricare.mil, Triwest HealthMatters Issue 4: 2005, Child Welfare Information Gateway, www.adoption.com, www.adoptuskids.org.

{for more info:http://www.armyspousemag.epmilitarylink.com/2010_Articles/OperationSpouseformation/may/Infertility.html}

9 comments:

  1. Me and my husband wanted to try for a baby together but i had gotten a tubaligation done during my first marriage(thinking i would never get divorced). My ex husband divorced me right after i had the surgery done. He said he wanted to make sure i couldn't have kids with another man. So me and my husband were looking on the Tricare website at what they would pay for and it does say that a tubal reversal is NOT covered. We went to talk to a doctor anyways with little hope and come to find out it DOES cover it. We had to go through a few tests to see if eveything was ok with me and my hubby and all our tests came back good so i had the surgery done March 5th that just passed. I haven't gotten pregnant yet but if its meant to happen it will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for posting this info, my hubby and i have been trying to have a baby for 6 year we were able to have one but have been tring for 4 years to have the second, my docs have been trying the little stuff first so that makes me feel better knowing that if we need to take more aggessive steps that we will have the means to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandi I'm in the same boat as you although I haven't started the process bc I'm unsure where to start any information would be helpful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a tubal as well, and would love to talk to Mandi about this. Any way of getting in contact?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure how to get in contact with her =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm now starting my third round of clomid and the second cycle of out of pocket expenses for the IUI. Its not cheap by any means when they want you to have more than one IUI done each cycle. IVF in WA state is $6-8,000.00 per treatment. Right now that is just not an option for us. I've also been blogging about this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In regards to Tricare paying for tuba reversals and the procedure to get there. I simply had my annual exam here at Fort Riley and brought it to my physicians attention that I would like to have another child. This was after my tubes had been clamped for 20 years. I had researched and everywhere I found NO COVERAGE. That is not the case my doctor immediately took labs and set up an OB consult and I am now on my way to the reversal IT IS COVERED!! I wanted to put this out there for those who are trying and don't know where to start. Talk to your GYN and progress from there!! It can happen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and information!

      Delete