Saturday, September 22, 2012

Watch What You Eat!

If you're looking to lose weight, you HAVE to watch what you eat! I have read that "controlling your portion size is a key element in bringing your body to a state of controlled and manageable weight." I believe this to be true!! A few years ago when I lost just under 50lbs, watching what I ate played a major part in my weight loss.

I used a food journal and wrote down everything I ate/drank. I cut down my portion sizes to NORMAL servings and counted my calories. By counting calories and writing down exactly what I was eating and drinking, I could see where I needed improvement and how I could make the most of my calories. It didn't long to figure out I could eat more and feel more satisfied by cutting junk and replacing it with fruits and veggies.


For my food journal I used a regular composition notebook. For counting your calories there are several apps you can find on your phone. I used one called "Lost It" (on android). I also carried a small book with me - The Calorie King, Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter - With this, if I chose to eat out somewhere, it has just about every fast food place, restaurant and even items you would find at carnivals and fairs! The book also contains tips on how many calories you should be eating, exercising and how to figure your BMI.



Here are some tips to help you control your portion sizes and cut back on how much you eat:
*Dish  up portions in the kitchen and immediately put leftovers in the fridge; you'll be less likely to go back for seconds.
*Avoid eating in front of the TV or computer or while standing up. Pay attention to your food and enjoy it.
*Don't buy large quantities of "trigger" foods (the foods you have a hard time resisting). If you have a desire for cookies, buy a single-serving package instead of a whole box.
*Share an entree with a friend or family member when you go out to a restaurant.
*Ask for half of your meal to be packaged for you when you to a restaurant and eat the rest for the next days lunch.
*Eat from a smaller plate, visually it will seem as if you're eating more.
*Buy a kitchen scale to weigh your food for an accurate measure of how much you're eating.
*Drink 8oz of water before each meal.

If you have more tips, feel free to share them in the comments! 









No comments:

Post a Comment