Friday, February 15, 2013

University of Alaska ROTC - Thanks Julie!!

One of my friends on Facebook, Miss Julie VanHouten, works at the University of Alaska with the ROTC program. She is constantly posting about it and shows tremendous pride in the program!! After doing a little "research" I see why!



From the University of Alaska "about" section -

"The primary mission of the ROTC program at the University of Alaska is the development of Cadet into Army Leaders.

Army ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps)  is one of the best leadership courses in the country and is a part of our proud American heritage that has molded many fine young men and women serving the prestigious officer corps of the U.S. Army.


 The University of Alaska Fairbanks is home to the Nanook Battalion. Currently there are about 40 cadets in the Unit. Our unit earned First place ranking among all units in the Brigade last year, and was top 15% nationwide."

This program began in 1922 and is one of the oldest in the country that has been producing officers for the US Army since 1927. Many of the officers who came from UAF have went on to gain senior leadership in the military, become congressmen, state legislators, judges and corporate executives!

The mascot for the UAF is the Nanook - an Inupiat Eskimo word for the polar bear. Nanook means King of the North.

 It seems to me that this is a GREAT step for those who are looking to enter the army after high school. My oldest, who is 13, has talked of joining the army and being like his father and when the time comes I will definitely look into this if he is still interested.

Julie was so kind to me and sent me some UAF ROTC gear! She sent me 2 shirts, a sweatshirt, a water bottle, a hat and some pens. My husband confiscated my water bottle, my daughter took one of the shirts (it was like an XS lol) and my oldest son took the gray ARMY ROTC shirt and my pens! All I'm left with is the sweatshirt and hat. I haven't worn the sweatshirt yet, but I wear the hat on sunny days when I go out walking ----

Thanks Julie!!!

For more information on the University of Alaska and their ROTC program you can visit their site - http://www.uaf.edu/rotc/


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad this internet thing works and your article really Cheap Dog Beds, Large Dog Clothes, Small Dog Collars helped me. Might take you up on that home advice you.

    ReplyDelete