Tuesday, October 11, 2011

MyCAA - Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts

...also known as "Military Spouse Tuition Assistance"

The Department of Defense's expanded Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts program (MyCAA) will provide up to $4,000 of financial assistance for military spouses who are pursuing associate degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields.

The MyCAA program covers the costs of associate degree programs and career training that leads to licensing, certifications and/or credentials in high-demand and high-growth industries.

There is a yearly cap on the available funds of $2,000. Additionally, military spouses must finish their program of study within three years from the start date of the first course.

To officially confirm your eligibility for the MyCAA program, start by opening up a MyCAA account by visiting the online MyCAA portal Web site. Once your spouse's DEERS benefit eligibility has been verified and approved, you can create your Career and Training plan. This plan involves identifying a career path, selecting a school or vocational program and outlining the courses you will need to take in order to meet your career goals. Your Career and Training plan will need be approved prior to receiving your funds.

Who is eligible?
Spouses of active duty service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2, as well as the spouses of activated Guard and Reserve members within those ranks. Spouses of Guard and Reserve members must be able to start and complete their courses while their sponsor is on Title 10 orders.

What does it cover?
A MyCAA account covers tuition for associate degree programs and vocational training courses that lead to licensing and/or industry certifications. This includes state certifications for teachers, medical professionals and other occupations requiring recognized certifications; licensing exams and related prep courses; Continuing Education Unit (CEU) classes including those offered through professional associations; and degree programs leading to employment in Portable Career Fields. MyCAA also pays for high school Completion courses, GED tests and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes.

Read more and get links at Military OneSource -

Hope this helps some =)

No comments:

Post a Comment