Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pre-Baby Body Diet and Exercise Tips (By: Katie Moore - guest blogger)


I went into my pregnancy excited! I was excited about the life growing inside of me and excited for meeting my child for the first time. While many women might experience a little anxiety regarding childbirth and all that it entails, most women are more concerned with transitioning to motherhood. One of the biggest transitions I had to make was getting back to my pre-pregnancy weight.
As a new mom, I certainly did not have a lot of spare time, so post-partum exercise was something I did with my child. There are many great nutrition and exercise tips for new moms wanting to get their pre-baby bodies back out there, it’s just up to you to implement them into your daily routine.

Diet

It’s impossible to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle without
eating right. Even with exercise new moms need to eat healthy to achieve their fitness goals as simple as possible. The nutrition rules pregnant women need to follow are the same new moms need to follow after birth. A diet rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, proteins, healthy fats and low-fat dairy products will help new moms keep their bodies healthy and their energy levels up, which will make exercise more effective.

Exercise

New mothers should always speak with their doctors regarding exercise after giving birth. Doctors will be able to give you the best advice (just like they did on pain management medicine,
cord blood banking, circumcision, and breastfeeding) on when to begin exercise and what exercises you should be doing based on the difficulty of their labor and their health.

The recommended amount of
exercise post-partum mothers should get is approximately 30 minutes per day. This is the amount of exercise needed to keep women healthy and fit, and to begin to see their pre-pregnancy body faster. Since new moms have little time to exercise there are several ways to get fit while multi-tasking. A great form of exercise I used was walking. Not only is walking great exercise it is also something I could do with my baby. By placing my baby in the stroller and hitting the road I was able to work out for at least half an hour a day without stress. The best part was that my baby fell asleep when in motion, which means I could walk without stopping.

Another form of exercise great for new moms is yoga. Rather than taking a yoga class, I new purchased yoga DVDs and worked out at home while my baby napped or while friends and family were over spending time with my baby. 

There are so many great tips for news moms on how to get back to your pre-baby body, and do it in a healthy was so it’s obtainable and sustainable. At the end of the day it’s important to keep in mind that each body is different, so choose what works best for you and go with it! 

~Katie Moore
 
 
Katie Moore has written and submitted this article. Katie is an active blogger who discusses the topics of, motherhood, children, fitness, health and all other things Mommy. She enjoys writing, blogging, and meeting new people! To connect with Katie contact her via her blog, Moore From Katie or her twitter, @moorekm26


No comments:

Post a Comment