Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Second stop ~ Fort Carson, CO (2005-2007)

During his first deployment, my husband re-enlisted to continue serving in the Army. He was given orders to Fort Carson, Co. By the time our PCS date rolled around, I was about 6 months pregnant with our daughter and we had another addition to our family, my kitty kat, Baby.

By then we had a van and we packed our van up and headed down the highway towards Colorado. The drive for me was horrible, as I'm sure it probably was for Darrell as well. My poor husband drove the whole way. I can't even remember the amount of times we had to stop because of me and my cat. My cat kept throwing up and peeing in his cage from the stress, the poor thing was scared to death, lol. We had to stop about every hour and half for me to get up and walk a few minutes and use the bathroom. Traveling while 6 months pregnant with high blood pressure is not fun at all. Surprisingly, the boys, who were 4 and 5 at the time, did very well during the drive.

A little ways off from Colorado Springs, the town outside of Fort Carson, we could see all the lights and how big the town was. It was no where near as small as Junction City, where were coming from. We had a heck of a time finding our hotel, but it was such a relief when we did. We ended up staying there for a few weeks while waiting on housing.

I will never forget my first view of the mountains. The morning after the night we got there we got up and went to get something to eat. We stepped outside and my breath was taken away by the sight I saw. Coming in the night before, we couldn't see the mountains very good at all, but in the morning, with the sun freshly out the sight was amazing. I never realized how beautiful mountains were until that day. As a matter of fact, the view of the mountains is what I miss the most about Colorado.

On to housing, it was small, but we had a full basement. We moved in and got our stuff put away and situated. The neighborhood was nice, but boy were there tons of kids! Speaking of kids, we were waiting for the arrival of our little one. Luckily, Darrell's unit gave him his year stability and he was there with me for the birth of our daughter. As soon as his year was up, he joined the rest of his unit who had deployed right when we got there. He left for his second deployment when our daughter was only a few months old. The good thing was that he didn't have to do an entire year that time.

All in all, I liked Colorado. The scenery was amazing and I loved the zoo on the mountain. I stayed involved in my church there since my church's organization has church's all over. It was a lovely place and I wouldn't mind going back. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment